Protect the human

http://www.justgiving.com/hannahandlaurie

Sunday 9 March 2014

Domingo en Vigo

I woke up at 10.30 this morning and was keen to get up and out of bed so as to avoid the potentially awkward situation of Pedro and Hilary wanting to get on with their day but being afraid to disturb me. By 2pm I was beginning to wonder if they were even in the flat as I tip toed round the flat, eating an orange and trying to detect sounds for other life forms. I was just finishing skyping my mum when I heard Pedro's favourite London radio station in the kitchen and a hand peeped through my door holding a note saying 'coffee and toast?' with diagrams. We had black coffee in glasses like Audrey Hepburn does in Breakfast at Tiffany's and jammy toast with Oreos. Afterwards we went to the park and looked at the views of Vigo's port. Pedro pointed out the hundreds of Citroen cars, which were made in the nearby factory, waiting to be shipped out, as well as the fishing ships. Then we sat down and had pork sandwiches whilst Hilary passionatly expressed her love for the shitzu dog, which Pedro did not seem to share. Walking into central Vigo there was a lot of commotion as people lined the streets in anticipation for the parade. The motley crew ascended Vigo's steep hill in an eclectic mix of costumes, from Vikings to flamenco dancers, there did not seem to be recurring theme or concept for the parade. The main attraction was the ginormous nodding mammoth from Ice Age, which struggled up the hill, with Gallician children in dodo costumes confidently dancing beneath it.
As the day drew to a close, we wandered through the dilapidated old town towards the sea and had a drink in an a tapas bar. Pedro showed me pictures of the Galician countryside which could have been of Wales, it was so lush and green. We drove home to the flat and had spinach and mushroom stir fry with salad whilst watching Breaking Bad, which I had introduced Pedro to. It was almost 1 by the time I got to bed, with my back pack ready but my mind apprehensive for the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment